When I joined Amazon, working in the catalog world, it made my life shopping at Amazon hard. I’d see all the possible catalog mistakes and it’s would drive me crazy.
Now that I worked with an HTML5 platform at Amazon, now I’m feeling like my HTML experience in general is getting ruined, because I’m doing the same thing with web pages. For example, this is what I saw today when I opened twitter on Chrome:
Pretty broken, right? Well, so I had to go and open it on Firefox and see what a different engine does with it:
Less broken, but still not optimal. I tried to look at the markup itself and it seems to be some very strange unicode character that is causing it. Oddly, when I look at the inspector things look much more like what it looks on Firefox. I don’t know what is causing Chrome to rotate those dots and then get confused about the text width and not know how to build that div.
But let’s put blame on the right place. I decided to open it on Safari then, which is also a WebKit browser. And see what happens…
Fascinating… The font issue is the same, but it can figure out the right size for that div! Ah, HTML… 3 browsers, 3 different results!